About Us - Principal Collaborators
Italicized links go off this site, and will open in a new window.
Ms. Smiley is a creative collaborative technology leader with broad and deep global experience in the full development lifecycle for multi-platform hardware-software systems. She currently leads global agile teams that architect and prototype advanced industrial
and toolsets to discover and integrate new technical knowledge in software product lines, encompassing system and service offerings. Karen is an accomplished mentor, teacher, author, manager, coach, architect, and data scientist who is always looking for opportunities to use technology and data for good. She still enjoys creating software, analyzing data, and above all, meeting challenges and solving problems. Karen has co-invented on 6+ US patents for software technology innovations, and has authored or co-authored
40+ academic and industrial publications.
Here are some highlights of Karen's recent accomplishments and contributions:
- June 26, 2019:
4 new world patents granted for US
#9,547,695 (EP/DE/FR/GB 14157290.9; co-inventor)
- June 21, 2019:
Invited industry panelist at the inaugural Women In Engineering event for IEEE
ITEC'19 (topic: "A Reinvention Retrospective")
- June 4, 2019:
Cutter Consortium Executive Update
"5 Scenarios for Addressing Agile's Cognitive Dissonance in Large, Non-Software Companies"
Catherine Louis of
CLL Group); published in
Business Agility & Software Engineering Excellence
ABB Review Special Issue on simulation and digital twins,
"Managing Asset Performance with Connected Analytics for Solar" (lead author)
- 2018: US patent
#10,074,402 granted (co-inventor)
INCOSE Insight Magazine article
on "Overcoming the Challenges of Agile for Globally Distributed Industrial Research" (lead author)
- 2017 ABB USCRC Technical Review article on "Industrial Analytics for Solar Inverters and Plants"
- 2017: Two new US patents granted -
- 2016-2019: Technical Program Committee member for
and ICSA 2019
(International Conference on Software Architecture).
Contributed to the Software Engineering In Practice (SEIP) track of ICSE 2018 as a member of the Program Committee
- 2017: Co-author on MESA White Paper #57: "Asset Performance Management (APM) 2.0 - Guidelines for Goal Setting & Implementation Planning" (the Reader's Choice for Dec. 2017!)
- 2017-2019: Program Committee member for the
and 2019 RCoSE/DDrEE,
Rapid Continuous Software Engineering International Workshops
- 2016: ICSE 2016 CSED (Continuous Software Evolution and Delivery),
Program Committee member
and lead author on "From Ideas to Implementations: Closing the Gaps between Technical Experts and Software Solutions" (presented by co-author Pankesh Patel)
- 2015-2016: Active contributor in MESA
Asset Performance Management 2.0 Working Group and
XML Committee on
- 2015: SPLC paper "Evolving an Industrial Analytics Product Line Architecture" (lead author and presenter)
- 2014Q1: ABB Review article,
"Picture of health" on industrial analytics and asset health management
- 2014: WICSA paper, "A Dynamic Software Product Line Architecture for Prepackaged Expert Analytics" (lead author)
- 2012: SEKE paper, "Forecasting Fault Events in Power Distribution Grids Using Machine Learning" (co-author)
For more information, see Karen Smiley - LinkedIn profile. You may message Karen there; contact Karen on twitter or ResearchGate; connect to Agile Teams on Facebook; or email her at firstname at agileteams dot com.
You may also reach her via her networks on ResearchGate or Academia.edu.